Thursday, August 4, 2011

Raw Hommus and Salsa

Last night I topped my raw burrito off with some salsa that I assumed was raw. But after consulting with some friends today found out it was not. Oops! So today I found a simple recipe and whipped up some fresh homemade salsa and had another burrito for lunch. The good thing is you can double the recipe like I did and save them for the next few days. This way you don't end up spending every day slaving in the kitchen.

I decided to attempt sprouting, again. Seems like every time in the past my sprouts end up getting moldy. So I asked a friend who sprouts regularly how to do it. I guess the trick is to rinse them several times a day, not just once! So I sprouted some green lentils and they turned out pretty good. They didn't continue sprouting after the first day out of water, so I tried them and they were definitely soft enough to eat. So tonight I am making them into raw hommus. I have another recipe for this I'll share later but it seemed like a good idea. And it tastes pretty good. You just have to make sure you buy "raw" tahini.

Raw Hommus

Ingredients:

2 cups sprouted beans, I used lentils
1/2 cup raw tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup green olives
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 lemon squeezed
dash of salt
add water to desired thickness
 
Directions

Blend all ingredients until very smooth. Chill and serve with raw crackers or veggies!


Simple Homemade Salsa 

Ingredients
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
  • 1/4 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro 
  •  1/2 teaspoon ume plum vinegar
  •  1 tsp chopped garlic
  • squeeze of lime
  • dash of salt

Directions

  1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; drain briefly. Return the mixture to the bowl; stir in the remaining ingredients and chill, allowing the flavors to combine. Serve atop raw burritos!

No comments:

Post a Comment